Monday, June 18, 2007

Who I Follow


Honestly, lots of people. Honestly, sometimes I follow them as a substitute for following Jesus Christ. I mean, I have prided myself on the fact that I don't much care who wins the 2008 Presidential election. I'm opposed to in-utero genocide, so there I'm usually with the GOP. On the other hand, I think the Dems have the advantage when it comes to a desire to help the disadvantaged (well, besides promoting in-utero genocide). So, this time 'round, I don't care so much if our President is Mitt or Hillary or Rudy or Barack.

But just because I don't have political superstar idols doesn't mean that I don't have the propensity to look toward others as my functional savior. Speaking of functional saviors, I have a bad habit of taking things that Rev. Tim Keller has to say as Gospel truth (he uses the phrase "functional savior" all the time). And there are a few other superstar preachers I really like. Some of my friends really like Rev. John Piper. I have to admit that internally I say to myself "As if. Piper doesn't even come close to being as relevant and clear in his presentation of the Gospel as Keller." Subconsciously I think I'm saying "I follow Keller" (well, I guess it's now consciously). Kind of like the Corinthians say "I follow Paul" or "I follow Appolos."

I need to turn my heart to Christ in such a way that I can say "I follow Christ, and Christ alone," while only following Christ following superstars like Keller and Piper as they follow my true hero, Jesus.

That brings me to a question for you. It'll require a fresh reading of First Corinthians chapter three, and my question is this. Who do you follow? Who or what is your "functional savior"?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, for me it is Keller or Carson.
It is good to always reexamine the line between godly counsel and scripture replacement.